This is to inform you that the 2nd CAN co-facilitators meeting took place in The Hague (Cordaid office) 6-9 February 2012. The first one took place last July in London (HelpAge International office).
The overall objective of the 3 day meeting was to:
• Identify and prepare main 2012 activities (especially IAC in Washington DC)
• Develop CAN as network to improve its sustainability
Latest CAN Development
CAN is a quickly growing network and needs to ensure it remains sustainable while it broadens out. During the Facilitators’ meeting, it has been decided that a “Strategy Group” would be formed in order to enable more key stakeholders to participate and take the lead on CAN work (caregivers, policy makers, funders, academia, North and southern NGOs…).
The role of this group will be to:
1. provide expert guidance and advice on the overall CAN strategy (global and regional), including content issues, key events and activities
2. lead on key pieces of work additional to the activities undertaken by the facilitation group
3. help monitor implementation of CAN work plan and progress towards CAN goals.
NB: We hope the first CAN Strategy Group meeting will take place during the IAC in Vienna.
Our African CAN co-facilitators Agnes Atim, Hope Development Initiative and Renaldah Mjomba, VSO are taking the lead to ensure sharing of experiences and strategising in Africa at national and regional level increases. As many initiatives around strengthening caregivers care and support are underway, it is important to link with each other. Share you work with them. Together we are stronger!
A main challenge identified is the limited resources available to CAN (financial and time). We are currently looking into getting additional support (CAN coordinator) and will look into fundraising opportunities to ensure the network can keep developing.